A snake is a type of abuser. They have the following characteristics:
- They have no principles. A snake's allegiance is entirely determined by their programming.
- Their speech is full of doublespeak and linguistic obfuscation, their words chosen entirely by social strategy. Any compliments, testimony, or other dialogue from them should not be considered any indication of truth, and if something they say doesn't make sense, don't try to make sense of it.
- You cannot change their mind about anything, nor will they ever change of their own accord. Any criticism, advice, compliments, encouragement or other dialogue will be forgotten the next day. But they're open to "discussing", which means them making you explain yourself infinitely and getting upset when you give up on convincing them.
- They will never leave you alone at your request. Your only options are to leave yourself or threaten them. The best way is generally to run, since they won't stop talking once you start leaving, only once you're out of earshot.
- A snake will never give you a simple answer. Even if you explicitly ask for a yes or no, they will give you a long-winded explanation that you cannot interrupt, and if you visibly indicate you're not listening anymore, they get upset. Also, a snake will never accept an answer until they finish their entire question, even if it's 200 words long (which it usually is). And if you repeat a failed attempt to get their attention, they usually get mad.
- They will always play victim. When they do admit to having acted badly, it indicates no intention to change (and it's likely that the next day, they never admitted any such thing).
- They will never admit to being angry. They'll claim they're just *concerned* about XYZ, or that they're *frustrated* which is completely different from being angry (and you're mean if you suggest that they're angry).
- You're never allowed to criticize them. If you do, it is near guaranteed that you will have to escape, as described above.
- In the unlikely event that you genuinely wrong a snake, they will usually not accept restitution, because they prefer to have you in the malefactor position.
The best advice is to give up on them completely. Don't ever try to argue with them or consider anything they say. Interact with them as little as possible. That's the best you can do for your sanity.
The worst thing you can do with them is feel obligated to be honest. They will never return the gesture.
The one good thing about snakes is that any threat of consequences is generally empty. They hate to disturb the status quo.
subscribe via RSS