I hate Windows because Windows hates me
There are good explanations of why Windows is technically inferior to Unix-like operating systems:
Why Windows causes stupidity
But my virulent hatred of Windows is actually less about architecture (or even about *freedom*) and more about the offensive insults against the user that litter Windows as it currently exists:
- Unsolicited notifications and popups about Microsoft stuff it wants me to install.
- A plethora of apps it won't let me uninstall, even useless bullshit like XBox Game Bar.
- PC starts in "S-mode", which means non-Microsoft apps aren't allowed to run.
- Fucking lying to the user about how long filesystem operations take:
- I changed my settings to allow installing non-Microsoft apps. Windows automatically changed it back.
- I deleted the Edge exe (because you aren't allowed to uninstall Edge through the Add or Remove Programs interface). Windows automatically restored it.
- Microsoft Defender Antivirus sometimes just up and deletes files it thinks are suspicious, without asking me. (These files were important.)
- I opened the computer to be accosted by a screen saying something like "Your device needs a few more Microsoft services set up".
You don't control your own device if it runs Windows. You are treated like a guest in your own house. Nevermind the sophisticated concerns about design or freedom. I hate Windows because Windows hates me.
subscribe via RSS